Sydenham Centre, 44a Sydenham Rd, SE26 5QX
For weekend family theatre performances shows at 2:00 pm & 4:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays. Box office helpers required for two shifts: from 1.15 pm – 3.15 pm or 3.15 pm -5.15 pm
The evening theatre shows at Sydenham Centre typically start at 8:00 pm on Thursdays, Fridays or Saturday evenings. Box office helpers are generally required from 7.15 pm until around 10:00 pm.
For Alice in Wonderland shows from 26th July – 4th August: Venue is Mayow Park, Sydenham, SE26 4SS. Shows are at 2:00 pm – 3.30 pm on each performance day. Box office helpers would be required from 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm
Spontaneous Productions Ltd. We are a professional theatre company and events organiser.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
This is a potentially ongoing role at Spontaneous Productions, based at Sydenham Centre in Sydenham Rd (upstairs above the post office & next to Tesco Express.) We stage approx 10 shows per year, including performances for families at weekends and evening shows for a grown-up audiences on weekday nights and weekends.
We regularly need box office helpers to man the doors on show days, checking off pre-bookings and selling tickets. Show times vary but we generally expect box office helpers to attend for up to 30-45 mins before show time and to stay for late-comers until at least 15-20 mins after curtain up
This summer we also need assistance with open-air theatre performances in Mayow Park in July and August. A ‘promenade production of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland will take place over 10 days between Fri 26th July – Sun 4th Aug. There are 8 performances, starting at 2:00 pm and finishing appox 3.30pm between these dates (no shows Mon 29/Tue 30 July). We need back-stage crew members to assist the creative team and cast with setting up scenery, props etc. The cast may also require assistance with costume changes.
Most of our box office helpers are keen to stay and either watch the show, or assist during the interval and after performances
- setting out and clearing away chairs
- sweeping the auditorium
- selling programmes and distributing and collecting feedback forms from audiences.
- We need box office helpers to check off pre-bookings and sell tickets before and during the performances, with those paying being provided with colour-coded wristbands. We expect to need at least 2 people per performance (see timings below), and professional security personnel will be on site to ensure safety at all times.
- Previous experience in retail or box office an advantage, numerate, trustworthy.
- Otherwise, no prior experience necessary as training will be provided.
- If candidates do have prior experience of running a box office or working in retail we may consider asking this volunteer to take on a box office management role.
Training and Support Offer
We offer training ‘on the job’, with new volunteers working alongside someone with experience. We try, where possible, to ensure that there is a minimum of two box office staff per performance, and that at least one has prior experience.
For the Alice shows, we will offer training sessions at ‘meet & greets’ before and during the rehearsal period. Dates can be provided on request
Travel expenses will be provided by prior agreement only.
Refreshments will be provided.
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
Learn new skills, meet new people and make new friends, outdoor activity, support a community-based not-for-profit theatre company, satisfaction from being part of an exciting live event. A very good addition to your CV!
Email director/producer Jonathan Kaufman directly at email@example.com
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131