At Sydenham Garden charity our Sow & Grow sessions aim to support people to live well with dementia. We use gardening, cooking and craft activities, as well as providing plenty of opportunities for reminiscence, reflection and discussion.
We require volunteers to assist with the smooth running of these sessions.
- Working with and supporting our co-workers who are people experiencing dementia, with support from staff and other volunteers.
- Greet the co-workers with a hot drink and some fruit/biscuits
- Sing the group song with the co-workers
- Help the co-workers to complete their scrapbooks
- Help the co-workers to complete the day’s activity (we use gardening, cooking and craft activities, as well as providing plenty of opportunities for reminiscence, reflection and discussion)
- Support new co-workers in their first sessions, help them to orientate to the project, make friends and choose a group name/song.
- Help co-workers complete relevant monitoring paperwork
- You must be able to talk directly to co-workers about their health and progress
- To comply with data protection regulations, ensuring that information relating to co-workers, volunteers, trustees, staff and financial matters remains confidential.
- You must complete a DBS check and Mindcare specific training in the early stages of volunteering.
- An interest in working with people with dementia
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Happy to support co-workers from all backgrounds
- Ability to work well in a diverse team of volunteers and staff
- Flexibility and an ability to adapt to different tasks each week
- Be organised, punctual and reliable
- Patient, empathetic, sensitive and caring
- Enthusiastic and able to motivate others
- A greater understanding of dementia and the impact on the individual
- Experience of using art, cooking, reminiscence and community gardening in a therapeutic way
- Experience of working with and meeting new people
- Experience in handling sensitive information
- Extremely applicable experience in social care, psychology and mental health treatment.
We ask that you commit to a minimum of 1 session a week.
Sessions run: Tuesday PM (14:00 – 16:30), Thursday AM (10:00 – 12:30), Thursday PM (14:00 – 16:30) and Friday AM (10:00 – 12:30)
You would be expected to arrive half an hour before the session begins and stay half an hour after the session ends.
Sydenham Garden, 28A Wynell Road, London SE23 2LW
Please complete the Volunteer Survey Form to apply. If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131.