Fan Museum in Greenwich
Ideally once a week, 11:00 – 17:00
There is flexibility with this, depending on the time commitment you can give.
The Fan Museum is the only Museum in the UK devoted to all aspects of the ancient art and craft of the fan. From exquisitely crafted eighteen century European folding fans to works by venerated artists including Dali, Gauguin and Sickert, the Museum’s collection of over 5,000 fans and fan leaves is presented in permanent displays and changing themed exhibitions.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to ensure that all our visitors enjoy their visit to The Fan Museum and leave with a greater understanding of the history of fans and the craft of fan making.
This volunteer opportunity will be of interest to anyone looking to gain experience of museum work (particularity within the independent sector), or who just loves fans and enjoy working within relatively small teams
- Greeting visitors and selling tickets to the Museum.
- Work in the Museum shop: Selling tickets, re-stocking and tidying.
- Engage visitors in the collection and museum activities.
- Ensure vigilance at all times regarding the safety and security of our collection and visitors.
- To be a presence on each floor of the Museum
- To be friendly and informative.
- Wayfinding, helping visitors to find their way in the Museum
- To distribute and collect audio guides.
- Assist visitors with activity trails.
- To answer any questions that visitors have about the collection and operational aspects of the Museum where appropriate.
- To uphold the ethos of The Fan Museum
- Ability to communicate with visitors in a clear and friendly manner.
- High level of punctuality and reliability
- Willingness to follow procedures but use own initiative and seek advice when appropriate.
- An affinity with the arts and a willingness to learn about fans!
- Team player – able to interact with other staff members and volunteers of all ages.
- Customer service experience
- Previous Museum or heritage experience
- Retail experience
Till training, way finding, procedures, company ethos and Health & Safety.
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
- Gain Museum experience
- Gain customer service experience
- Meet new people
- Enhance CV
- Learn about the craft and history of fan making.
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131