Various locations – South east London
We’d like your help with a shift a week; we’d love it if you could do more! Our shifts vary; they can be between 3-7 hours long and timings can be agreed between the volunteer and shop manager. The majority of our shops are open seven days a week.
St Christopher’s Hospice was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and formed part of the modern hospice movement. Proudly celebrating its 50th anniversary and with a turnover of over £20 million, we provide invaluable care and support to over 6,000 people across the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
Have you got a flair for fashion and a good eye for colour? Are you passionate about pre-loved clothes, furniture and accessories? Then join our retail team in one of our high street shops and help raise around £1 million for St Christopher’s each year
This can vary depending on the shop and each individual volunteer’s skill set, but it could be:
- Dressing windows
- Displaying clothes and accessories to make them as appealing to buyers as possible
- To assist in keeping the sales floor well stocked
- To sort, size and price donated items according to the shops’ policy
- Taking money and registering purchases using the till.
- To undertake banking and till reconciliations if required
- To deal sensitively and politely with customers to the shop – bearing in mind some may be bereaved.
- To sensitively accept donations from the public which may be either goods for sale or money – bearing in mind some may be bereaved.
- Undertake activities which relate to keeping the shop clean and tidy e.g. vacuuming
- Representing St Christopher’s and our values at all times during your shift
Training and Support Offer
- Welcome session and ongoing support provided by shop manager
- All training will take place in the shop
- A health and safety briefing will be provided on your first day.
- You will need to read and complete a learning workbook which needs to be refreshed each year to continue volunteering in this role.
- Gift Aid training
- Training on use of the till, back office PC, tagging gun and steamer where needed.
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
- Join an enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Use and develop your skills, enhancing your CV
- Know you are helping people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
We ask all those interested to complete a taster session in the shop (s) of their choice in the first instance.
The volunteer role will be agreed with you following successful completion of the taster, completed application form and references. For more information please contact Alison Hunt A.Hunt@StChristophers.org.uk
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131