Our new shop in Catford ,1 Brownhill Road, Catford, SE6 2HG.
We’d like your help with a shift a week; we’d love it if you could do more! Our shifts vary; they can be between 3-7 hours long and timings can be agreed between the volunteer and shop manager. The majority of our shops are open seven days a week.
St Christopher’s Hospice was founded in 1967 by Dame Cicely Saunders and formed part of the modern hospice movement. Proudly celebrating its 50th anniversary and with a turnover of over £20 million, we provide invaluable care and support to over 6,000 people across the five London Boroughs of Bromley, Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
To enable us to raise money to support our vision in which all dying people and those close to them have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
Our shops raise approx. £1 million each year
This can vary depending on the shop and each individual volunteer’s skill set, but it could be:
- To deal sensitively and politely with customers to the shop – bearing in mind some may be bereaved.
- Taking money and registering purchases using the till.
- To sensitively accept donations from the public which may be either goods for sale or money – bearing in mind some may be bereaved.
- To assist in keeping the sales floor well stocked
- To sort, size and price donated items according to the shops’ policy
- To undertake banking and till reconciliations if required
- Undertake activities which relate to keeping the shop clean and tidy e.g. vacuuming
- As agreed, dressing windows
- Representing St Christopher’s and our values at all times during your shift
Good listener and clear communicator
- Good attention to detail
- Ability to follow our policies and procedures to keep you, and our customers and staff safe
- Ability to represent St Christopher’s and our values positively
A health and safety briefing will be provided on your first day.
- You will need to read and complete a learning workbook which needs to be refreshed each year to continue volunteering in this role.
- Gift Aid training
- Training on use of the till, back office PC, tagging gun and steamer where needed.
- Welcome session and ongoing support provided by shop manager
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
Join an enthusiastic team of people and get more involved in your local community
- Use and develop your skills, enhancing your CV
- Know you are helping people in your local community have access to care and support, whenever and wherever they need it.
We ask all those interested to complete a taster session in the shop (s) of their choice in the first instance. Please call or pop in to speak to the manager and arrange this. Details are below.
1 Brownhill Road, Catford, SE6 2HG . Ph : 0208 4611240
If you have any problems contacting the shop please contact the volunteering team email@example.com 020 8768 4669
The volunteer role will be agreed with you following successful completion of the taster, completed application form and references.
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131