Deptford Reach, 64 Speedwell Street, Deptford, London, SE8 4AT
08:30 – 15:30, Monday – Thursday (Some flexibility). You do not have to volunteer all four days each week, however we would request that you pick some set days.
Deptford Reach is a drop-in centre for adults over 17 years of age who are vulnerable through homelessness, mental ill-health, loneliness, social exclusion and severe poverty. We support more than 80 people each weekday through a programme of courses, workshops, activities and advice sessions.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
We are seeking a flexible individual who is willing to learn, work as part of a team in a small but busy kitchen and work towards their Food & Hygiene certificate and other training that is appropriate to the role. With 3 employed staff our volunteers play a key a vital role to ensure to smooth running of the day centre
- Prepare vegetables, fruit, etc
- Supporting the cook with incoming food deliveries, checking and storing appropriately
- Serving of food and clearing up afterwards
- Maintaining a clean and tidy kitchen at all times
- To clean kitchen equipment, utensils, crockery and cutlery
- Clean food stores and other areas, ensuring stock rotation and stock control, where applicable
- Clean and maintain kitchen floors, walls, surfaces and other food areas within the Day Centre in a clean and hygienic manner
Environmental Health Certificate in Food Hygiene
The ability to work as part of a team
Ability to communicate with service users appropriately, helpfully and sympathetically
Ability to work under pressure
Must be flexible, adjustable and have an ability to work on one’s own initiative
Dress appropriately for kitchen based duties
Supported by a qualified cook in the kitchen
Opportunity to obtain a Food Hygiene Certificate and Health and Safety Certificate.
Supervision if required.
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
Opportunity to learn new skills within the kitchen, improve on customer service skills, meeting new people, opportunity to support and help those most in need within the local community. Update your CV, obtain a work reference.
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131