Various locations in Lewisham borough
During recycling week from 23rd – 29th September 2019
Purpose/Objective of the role
The Council wants to send a clear message to the residents on Reduce, Reuse and Recycle by using the Recycling Week as an initiative. This will be delivered across the borough with hosted recycling surgeries, which will be providing the residents the opportunity to engage with the recycling team to clarify any doubts and improve their recycling habits.
The main objective as a volunteer during this period will be to assist the Recycling Officers to deliver an interactive week of recycling awareness
Volunteers are expected to help the Recycling Officers setting up in the morning and packing up in the afternoon, as well as engaging with local residents with the aim to improve recycling in the borough. Although flexible, we expect volunteers to be able to attend Catford Market, Deptford Market, Lewisham Market, and the workshops during the Recycling Week.
- Help promoting recycling by engaging and educating residents.
- The volunteers will be fun loving individuals, who enjoy being part of a team. Have a friendly, approachable and can do attitude.
- Volunteers are expected to have a real sense of community spirit and be able to easily engage with the general public.
- Please note – There will be extensive amount of time standing whilst engaging with the residents.
Skills and experience needed
- Have a keen interest in recycling and/or environmental issues.
- Able to take responsibility for their own work and work without direct supervision.
- Confident in talking to the general public.
- Willing to work as part of a team and work the agreed set of hours.
Training and Support Offer
Pre-week briefing session and appropriate training will be provided. Date and time to be confirmed.
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
- Experience of community events and customer service
- Meet new people, make new friends.
- Build networks of contacts for future employment opportunities.
- Practice customer service skills in an exceptional opportunity.
- Get involved in the local community and make a difference.
Interested in volunteering? Please contact Ellie – Volunteer Co-ordinator – 020 8314 9442 Ellie.Dell’Aglio@Lewisham.gov.uk
Applications/CVs can be sent to the above email address.
First phase – Candidates will be short listed and invited in for an informal chat.
Second phase – references will be checked.
Third phase – The successful candidates will be invited to take part in the training.
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131