Designated Youth First Site (please see website for our site locations)
A minimum of 1 session a week for a minimum of 3 months
Volunteer Hours: Various 3-6 hour opportunities available: Monday – Friday: 15:00 – 21:00, Saturday: 11:00 – 18:00
Youth First (YF) is the UK’s first employee and young person owned Mutual. Formed from Lewisham’s Youth Service, it sustains and extends youth provision, firstly for Lewisham but could, in the future, go beyond these borders.
The organisation is driven by a mission to support and improve young people’s lives and develop their self-confidence and life skills through social and team activities, adventure play, the provision of safe spaces and the support of professional youth and play workers.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
We are looking for applicants who share our passion for helping young people to become successful and resilient adults and applicants who have the time and skills to further our mission
As a support youth worker you will assist in the development and delivery of services and activities for children and young people aged 8 -19 up to 24 with additional needs, that are fun, vibrant, high quality and support their learning and life skills.
Your role will involve:
- Working face to face with children and young people who use our services.
- Developing and assisting in the delivery of fun and informative activities and session
- Safeguarding and promoting equality and diversity
We would especially welcome those with knowledge and skills in areas such as:
- youth work/adventure play.
- Youth mentoring
Qualifications and training in specialised areas, in order to lead children and young people workshops and activities.
As a volunteer for Youth First, you will be:
- Supported throughout your placement, through the use of our volunteer support approaches
- Assigned a volunteer buddy which means you will have a committed and responsible member of staff to support you through your entire voluntary placement.
- Invited to training workshops organised by Youth First
- Allocated a volunteer location dependant on your skills and interests, matched with the needs of our sites
- Opportunity to sign up to be a “Friends of” Youth First and be the first to receive exclusive opportunities
Benefits of Volunteering to Individual
- Gain first-hand experience of youth and play work
- Opportunity to make a positive impact in the lives of children, young people and their families.
- Develop and gain new knowledge and skills
- Progression monitored and recorded through the use of scheduled reviews and reflections.
- Reference available after completing minimum volunteer commitment
- Travel and lunch expenses reimbursed with proof of receipt and within Youth First expenses policy
The recruitment process
There are 4 stages to the Youth First Volunteer recruitment process, these are:
- Application submission
- Telephone assessment
- On site observation
- References and DBS clearance (all will be subject to references and DBS checks)
Prospective volunteers will have to successfully complete all stages in order to volunteer with Youth First.
Key dates and information
Closing Date: 1/2/19
Telephone assessments: 4/2/19 – 7/2/19
You will be contacted for a telephone assessment between the dates specified. When submitting your application please identify your preference of an AM or PM telephone assessment
AM Slot 10:00- 12:00
PM Slot 17:00 – 19:00
Observations: 18/2/19 – 21/2/19
Observations will take place at one of our adventure playgrounds or youth clubs. There will be 4 slots available. Should your telephone assessment be successful, dates and times will be confirmed.
Monday – Wednesday
15:30 – 17:30
18:30 – 20:30
13:00 – 15:00
16:00 – 18:00
Please ensure you will be available on telephone assessment and observation dates.
To register your interest, please complete the Volunteer Registration Form . If you have any questions call Aparna on 07378342131